Here is a really simple and delicious vegan Dutch apple cake from Louise Palmer-Masterton, founder of multiple award-winning restaurants Stem & Glory. Apples are abundant this time of year here in the UK. There are so many great ways to enjoy them including steamed, roasted and preserved. Have you ever thought about making a Dutch apple cake? Here is how.
How To Make A Delicious Vegan Dutch Apple Cake
VEGAN DUTCH APPLE CAKE
This cake was actually first created by Stem & Glory founder Louise’s daughter Daisy when she was 13, and it was an instant hit. Serves 8
2 cups flour 2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp bicarbonate soda ½ cup + 2 tbsp dark sugar 1 tbsp cinnamon pinch nutmeg 1 ¼ cups oat or soy milk + sometimes a little more needed 2 tsp cider vinegar ¼ cup oil - just use your favourite 2 large or 3 small apples cored, halved and sliced thinly
1) Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl
2) Mix the wet in another bowl
3) Mix the wet and dry ingredients together
4) Pour the mixture into a large greased and lined baking tin.
5) Add sliced apples to the top of the cake in a circular pattern, starting at the centre.
6) Sprinkle with some dark brown soft sugar
7) Bake 45 mins at 170C or 180C depending on oven
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Louise Palmer-Masterton is founder of multiple award-winning restaurants Stem & Glory; hip and trendy but accessible plant-based restaurants, serving delicious gourmet vegan food from locally sourced ingredients. Stem & Glory also offers click-and-collect and local delivery in London and Cambridge.In addition, Stem & Glory offers a range of ready meals, finish at home pizzas, and recipe kits available for delivery across the UK.www.stemandglory.uk