How To Make The Best Vegan Classic Chocolate Cake
Updated: Jan 31, 2022
Here is a really simple and delicious vegan classic chocolate cake from Louise Palmer-Masterton, founder of multiple award-winning restaurants Stem & Glory. Who doesn't love chocolate? Did you know that it's easier to make vegan cakes? You just mix the wet ingredients, mix the dry ingredients, then mix the two together and voila! Here is how to make the classic versatile chocolate cake.
VEGAN CLASSIC CHOCOLATE CAKE
This mouthwateringly good vegan chocolate cake can be served in many different ways. You could make a large rectangular cake with a layer of ganache on top or you could also make a double-layered round cake with buttercream inside and ganache on top. With the arrival of spring and cherries, why not make it into a vegan black forest gateau? Yum!
3 cups self-raising flour 2 cups sugar (I use soft dark brown) 1 ⅔ cup cocoa powder 2 tsp baking soda ¼ tsp salt 2 cups of water 1 cup oil ¼ cup apple cider vinegar 4 tsp vanilla extract Chocolate ganache icing
1 bar dark chocolate 1 tbsp coconut oil ⅓ cup soya/oat cream 3 cups (ish) Icing sugar
1) Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl
2) Mix the wet in another bowl
3) Mix the wet and dry ingredients together (do not over mix)
4) Pour the mixture into a large greased and lined baking tin.
5) Bake 30-45 mins at 180c. The middle of the cake should be firm to touch, and a knife should come out clean when inserted gently into the middle of the cake. One large cake will take longer than two small ones.
Chocolate ganache icing
1) Melt the chocolate, and oil and soya/oat cream together.
2) Add the icing sugar bit by bit until you have a thick, but just about pourable, consistency.
3) Then spread over the cake quickly before it sets!